Monday, August 30, 2010

Return to Comps

I didn't mean to be gone from here for three days. I knew I was going out of town but thought I'd have a chance to update from the road; as it turned out I got busy with other things. Buying nail polish was not among them, though, since I was flying with just a carry on bag and the TSA seems to go back and forth on whether nail polish is allowed in the quart-sized bag of dangerous liquids and gels (at one point the TSA site specifically said nail polish was not okay for carry on but was okay for checked bags, but I just looked today and couldn't find any reference to it at all, and I flew earlier this year with nail polish in my carry on, so it's confusing). I did stop in a few Dollar Tree stores that I came across, telling myself if I found something really good (like Sally Hansen glitters) I could find a post office and mail them to myself, but there wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.

When I posted about the Finger Paints fall collection I said I'd share what I found when I went looking for dupes in my stash, and today I have the pewter, Winter's Whisper, and some of its relatives from other brands.

Pewter

Left to right: Finger Paints Winter's Whisper, China Glaze Jitterbug, OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous, Milani 2.0.


The first three in the lineup here are all from Fall 2010 collections: Winter's Whisper from Finger Paints Seduced by Fall, Jitterbug from China Glaze Vintage Vixen, and Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous from OPI Swiss, all released about the same time. The Milani is from Liquid Metal, which came out this past summer. It's almost as if there's a nail polish guru somewhere that decreed pewter shimmer-verging-on-metallic was a must have this season. They look pretty similar in the bottle; on the nail there aren't any exact dupes in the group, but the differences between most of them are very subtle.


Pewter

Top to bottom: Winter's Whisper, Jitterbug, Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous, 2.0.



Pewter

Winter's Whisper (top) and Jitterbug (bottom).


Pewter

Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous (top), 2.0 (bottom).


If we had to play "one of these things is not like the others", the Milani would be the odd one out, as while the finish is similar to the other three, the base color is noticeably darker. That makes it a keeper just from a uniqueness standpoint. The OPI has the warmest tone of the group; in some lights, it seemed to have a greenish cast, while the others were more blue. The Finger Paints and China Glaze are the two closest to being dupes, with the Finger Paints being just slightly darker. If I could only keep one of the non-Milanis, I'd go with the China Glaze, though it's a close call.

*****

Reminder: There's one week left to enter my Summertime Blues Giveaway.

8 comments:

  1. i think i have lucertainly look marvelous & jitterbug :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the comparison! im sure there's a close dupe to these from the latest CC collection :P
    u hv been missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's also a suede-ish grey dupe in the Piggy Polish line, forget the name will try to pull it up later if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have the OPI, but not the other three! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice comparison :) I think average person wouldn't notice any difference between all those three polishes (except of milani one). I need to get Jitterbug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! You just saved me some $$$. I have Jitterbug but was wanting Lucerne. Now I don't have to get it.

    Love the comparison posts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sinful Colors in Secret Admirer looks a lot like these but a bit more black than sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comp! I've got 2 of the 4 so I think I'm good :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.