Monday, February 14, 2011

Recent NOTD: OPI The One That Got Away Plus a Bit of Bieber

To come up with what ended up being my pre-Valentine's Day manicure, I looked no further than the bottles of polish waiting to be put away from my last couple weeks of shopping. Nicole by OPI Step 2 the Beat of My Heart (I'll use the 2 but refuse to make the heart symbol—when I get a key for that on my keyboard I'll do it) seemed like an obvious choice, and I decided The One That Got Away, the magenta shimmer from the Katy Perry OPI collection, would make a nice base color for it.







The One That Got Away looks to have a gold-ish flash in the bottle but I didn't really see that on the nail. It applied fine, and two coats were enough. It's pigmented enough that I had some issues with clean up but if I'd been more patient I'm sure I could have eliminated the smudges on my skin.

The hearts in Step 2 the Beat of My Heart were not especially happy to leave their bottle and go onto my nails, so I had to fish them out with the pointy-est of the dotting tools (in the past I've used an orange stick for this sort of operation) and place them individually. Since I was doing this mani in the unheated garage (Mr. Karen has an issue with nail polish fumes), I only did accent nails with the hearts. My thumbs got the heart polish without the heart part, so just the little holo bits, which were pretty enough, though not nearly as flashy as the hearts. I found the hearts quite fascinating; the lilac ones stayed lilac, but the pink ones were sometimes pink, sometimes lilac, sometimes rainbow, sometimes peach or yellow, all depending on the light.









I took this off yesterday because I had time and space to do some swatching. It was starting to look a little rough anyway because two of the hearts had fallen off (next time I'll make sure to sink them in more and maybe use another layer of top coat). I don't think I'll be wearing this particular combination again because look what I found when I removed it:



Yep, those are heart-shaped stains where the big glitter pieces were. I'm glad I only did two accent nails or all my digits would look bruised like this. Obviously The One That Got Away plays nicely on its own with my treatment and base coat but add those hearts and something happens to it. That Jason Bieber is powerful stuff, I guess.

18 comments:

  1. Those heart shaped bruises are weeeeird! But I really like the mani though <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a very cheap heart nail polish that do the same weird. It's a shame:) But the colour is very pretty and glittery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those stain looks funny because of t he heart shape xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. :0 Ahhh those stains! I wasn't really into this polish- I think it looks like vomit in the bottle :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have this polish, but really wanted it. Now I'm considering what with the difficulty of getting them out and the staining. Hrm. The mani is beautiful, though! And my bf also hates the smell of nail polish...I get stuck doing it in the bathroom. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stains are INCREDIBLE! I guess the Biebs is quite powerful!

    I love The one that got away- I have it on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe the hearts stained your nails like that! Strong stuff! It's very pretty though, I really like the one that got away :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason. xD Love the glitter hearts, I would love to have some of Bieber's polishes. :) Bieber fever time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought the Nicole by OPI Step 2...and am going to do this same thing for my Valentine's mani today! :) Thanks for the tip on the staining!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen
    All his glazes are beautiful
    Despite having been with the spots on nails
    like to have them here
    But in Brazil does not have a store that sells = (
    Hugs
    Leka

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty mani! I never thought I'd say this, but those stains are adorable lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol justin b is powerful. too bad about the heart stains..but man.. so powerful that i still i'm going to try to find that polish..lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. The same thing happened to my sister, only hers were star shaped!

    I wonder what causes that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to fish them out all the time. It's quite frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute mani! Those stains are so odd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh cute mani ! And even though it's weird it stains like that..., those are the cutest bruises I've ever seen ;)
    Xx. S

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute manicure!
    I love that hearts-polish, I wish they sold it here, even if it does give me heart-shaped stains.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.