Thursday, August 16, 2012

Deborah Lippmann Magnet Appeal

I was ordering some things from Nordstrom the other week and got seduced by Deborah Lippmann once again. This time it was the Magnet Appeal set, which was described as having "...three exclusive shades each packaged in a miniature replica of our signature nail lacquer bottle." Mini magnetics? I wanted that, for sure.

It arrived, and the bottles sure were cute, but I was immediately suspicious about the exclusivity of these shades, since the magnet looked just like the Sally Hansen ones. Same size, same wave design around the outside, same lip. I don't even know which is which in the photo below.



Further evidence that the magnet at least was not exclusive is the way it fit, or rather failed to fit, on the bottles (one magnet came with the set of three bottles).



The polish colors looked familiar to me, too—so familar that I skipped straight to doing comparisons of two of the colors. (I would have done all three but I was too annoyed to do them one at a time and lacked the six fingers on one hand I'd need to do all three comps at once.) In the bottle, things looked suspicious. Left to right: Claire's Magnetix Dark Pink, Deborah Lippmann Punk Princess, Deborah Lippmann Hard Knock Life, Sally Hansen Magentic Graphite Gravity.



Here they are on the nail, in the same order.



A closer look—Claire's on top, Lippmann below:



Lippmann on top, Sally Hansen below:



Looks to me like I paid $29 for polish I already had. Oops. At least I got some cute bottles and a blog post out of the deal, right? I suppose the blue one in the trio that I haven't swatched yet could be unique, but I'm not very hopeful at this point.

19 comments:

  1. Well, this is certainly a role reversal. I usually expect cheaper brands to dupe the expensive ones and here, it's the opposite! I wonder at the reasoning because I'd much rather pay the lower prices than shell out more if the products appear to be exact copies and not just close dupes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh what a shame :( The grey one looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww i had no idea these were dupes! lame. i've been tempted by those DL magnetics a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been tempted by these just because they're baby DL bottles and that's cute. But wow, these are dead-on dupes for cheapie drugstore polishes. Thanks for the comparison, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lame. I feel like if you have something to add to whats already out there go ahead, but if you are going to put out a magnetic or crackle because everyone else is, and then do the same 2 stupid colors its pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know there were Lippmann magnetic polishes! Although... now I don't have to shell out the cash for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL So exclusive. :p I guess they figure it's fair with other people duping their colors?

    ReplyDelete
  8. shoe's on the other foot? DL is dupER instead of dupEE?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure looks like DL should be having some seriously red ears - and you are right about the bottles being pretty but $24 worth of pretty - hardly...
    Thanks for sharing this - it's proof enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two are certainly dupes. I am sorry you spent those bucks in something you already owned, but at least you fulfilled your need to compare, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. not very original of them, but still looks pretty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lid looks the same as the olor club ones too. Do you have any of those? Seems a bit suspect to me

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Sally Hansen magnet cap is really suspect...I mean how do you know that it's not actually Sally Hansen polish in the bottles too? This post definitely reaffirms my disgust with expensive designer labels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude I hate when that happens!!! Looks like you got gypped!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look the same, but the bottles looks really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol! That's crazy! Well...they look great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow. I never expected this from Deborah Lippmann.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bummer :-( not nice from such brand (BTW isn't Finger Paints cap similar, too?)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.